[Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type

From: Jean-François Caron
Subject: [Help-gsl] Compiling & Testing New Interpolation Type
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:47:19 -0700

Hi, several times now I’ve needed a monotonic interpolation method.  I saw some
posts from 2 years ago on this list from someone who implemented the method
from Steffen (1990), but it never got integrated into GSL and I couldn’t
contact that person.

I have now also implemented Steffen’s interpolation algorithm by copying the
existing akima.c file, but I am quite at a loss as to how to compile & test the
code.  I normally use GSL installed from MacPorts which handles all the
compilation.  I tried wget’ing the archive for GSL 1.6 and doing ./configure &&
make, but then I get errors about the PPC architecture (this is an x86 mac).

Could someone walk me through the steps for compiling & testing my steffen.c
code?  My starting point:
- a fresh download and ./configure of GSL 1.6
- steffen.c placed in $GSL/interpolation

I don’t need people to write the test program itself, I just need to get to
something that will compile with “int main(void){return 0;}”.  I can probably
handle the rest of the testing.

Thanks for any help,
Jean-François Caron

Old posts about this: