Re: [Help-gsl] Memory issues when using GSL ODE solver

From: Alex Shevtsov
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Memory issues when using GSL ODE solver
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 09:50:08 +0100

Hi,

I would also like to make the last comment. In case someone will bump into
the same problem as I did. When writing big programs in Python, which
require serious memory usage, one has to remember the particularities of
the Python Memory Management system. Creating objects (especially massive
ones) on-fly in long ('for' or 'while' loops) is not safe as the size of
the Python memory buffer will increase until it hits the maximum RAM size
and the computer starts to swap. I mistakenly thought of it as a memory
leak, but this is just a feature of the Python language that one has to
accept. If anyone is interested, follow these links to clarify what I meant:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18310668/is-freeing-handled-differently-for-small-large-numpy-arrays
http://hbfs.wordpress.com/2013/01/08/python-memory-management-part-ii/
http://www.evanjones.ca/memoryallocator/

I hope it helps to avoid such questions as I had.

Best wishes,
Alex