Re: [Help-gsl] ode version and compilers

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] ode version and compilers
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:25:10 -0600

> For simplicity, I would like to call the following segment an iteration.
>
> while (t < t1)
>   {
>     int status = gsl_odeiv2_evolve_apply (e, c, s, &sys, &t, t1, &h, y);
>
>     if (status != GSL_SUCCESS)
>       break;
>   }

> Honestly, I started to worry whether modifying things in params outside
> iterations is a misuse of GSL.

This may be a use case for which 4771 introduces a bug.  Hear me out...

When using a plain-vanilla RK4 scheme, the system of equations and all
of its parameters must remain fixed from substep-to-substep for
full-order accuracy to be achieved.  However, between RK4 steps one is
permitted to change the parameters however one likes.

Along that line of reasoning, I would expect
    gsl_odeiv2_evolve_apply (e, c, s, &sys, &t, t+1, &h, y);
    // modify system parameters in some fashion
    gsl_odeiv2_evolve_apply (e, c, s, &sys, &t, t+1, &h, y);
to behave identically pre- and post-4771 as line 1 completes some
number of full steps of the chosen scheme.  That is, the modification
in line 2 is not done in between substeps.

Alan, am I interpreting your use case correctly?

Tuomo, is this use case supported and, if so, does 4771 break it in
some fashion?

- Rhys