[Help-gsl] Unable to install latest version of GSL on linux

From: Neha Chhabra (nechhabr)
Subject: [Help-gsl] Unable to install latest version of GSL on linux
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 18:20:28 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to download and install gsl manually on my redhat machine. I
followed the following steps:
1.      go to: http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html
2.      click on an ftp link close to your location
3.      find the gsl/ directory and click on it
4.      find the gsl-VERSION.tar.gz file, where version is 1.14 or greater.
Click on that file to download it.
5.      In a terminal window extract the tar.gz file using tar -xzf
gsl-VERSION.tar.gz and then cd to the ./gsl-VERSION directory
6.      Look at the INSTALL file. It will probably tell you to run ./configure,
then make, and then make install (and you might have to login as the superuser
(sudo)

When I try step 5, I get an error -
Gzip: stdin : unexpected end of file
tar : Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

Could you please tell me how can I correct the error and if there is any
command to automatically install gsl-1.16 on RedHat?

Thanks,
Neha