Re: [Help-gsl] Linking GSL [noob]

From: Fg Nu
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linking GSL [noob]
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

Rhys,

That is precisely what was happening. I was wondering why the nesting structure
of the header directives was not reflected in the directory structure "on the
ground", till I figured that GSL would need to be compiled.

Now I am in the predicament since compiling GSL is not as straightforward as

./configure
make install
make

I will use this email to document my efforts for posterity. :)

1) I first installed msys (http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS), entered bash, and
tried ./configure, but I think that the shell finds a different version of sed
somewhere in my search folders, and the ./configure exits with many errors. So,
I removed that directory from my path temporarily. The ./configure now
completes smoothly.

2) The make install still exits with error code 1, since it can't find a
particular header file ("gsl_maxfit.h"), and this is a fatal error (code=2).

3) make trundles along for a while before it stops with error codes 1 and 2.

4) I try make install  and make again (for the heck of it).

4)  I am still a little confused about the version of make being used since if
you follow the linked stackoverflow question, you will note that I have
answered my own question -- the problem was that the wrong version of make was
being called when I was calling make from the command line, and I had to
explicitly call mingw32-make instead.
Also, when I was installing the msys toolset, it asked me to rename the make in
the MinGW installation to mingw32-make instead, which I did not do before
trying to compile GSL.

This is where I decided to call it a day. Tomorrow I will try again to compile
GSL and run a small example with it to see if the errors as superfluous and I
can actually work with GSL anyway.

Any suggestions or tips for installing GSL on a Windows machine?

Thanks