Re: [Help-gsl] a question on an implementation choice

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] a question on an implementation choice
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:08:13 +0900

Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:
>> * Was portability an issue?
>
> GNU likes C, because C is sleek.

Also I think portability is very much an issue that often drives the
choice of C in GNU, especially for library projects (though you'll
certainly find people that express a preference for C too), and even
_more_ especially for libraries with potentially very widespread
application like the GSL.

Of course this was especially true in the past, when C++ compilers
were all over the place in terms of quality and standards support;
the situation with C++ is a little better now (at least, the STL is
fairly well supported by most compilers, and you can actually rely on
exceptions...mostly), but still if you really want everybody to be
able to use your library, C is a very pragmatic choice...

-Miles

--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!