[Help-gsl] building and linking gsl 1-14 with Visual C++ Express 2008

From: Polder, Matthew J (N-The SI)
Subject: [Help-gsl] building and linking gsl 1-14 with Visual C++ Express 2008
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 11:19:49 -0400

I've previously used gsl-1.8 with Visual C++ Express 2008 using the build files
found at http://sourceware.org/ml/gsl-discuss/2006-q2/msg00052.html (at least
this may be where I got them; it's been a while). I'm now trying to use
gsl-1.14 with Visual C++ Express 2008. I'm limited to using 1.14 vs. 1.15 and
the 2008 Express version vs. the 2010 version, otherwise I'd use the files at
http://gladman.plushost.co.uk/oldsite/computing/gnu_scientific_library.php.

I used the Makefiles from a linux build of the library to generate my vcproj
files. I can't get either rowcol.c or submatrix.c to compile cleanly so I
removed them (this may cause problems later on but I can live with it for now).
After building the library (and the cblas one too) I tried linking with some
projects that previously used my gsl-1.8 libraries.

The problem is several undefined symbols, mainly gsl_vector_* and gsl_matrix_*.
It appears that through macros and defines, gsl handles various data types
(long, short, double, etc) by defining functions with the data type in the
function name, but double defaults to not having double in the name, e.g.
gsl_vector_free vs. gsl_vector_double_free. The needed symbols are defined
properly in my linux build but not in my Visual Studio build. I've tried
defining various preprocessor macros to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
matthew

This email was sent by an employee of The SI Organization, Inc. The SI was
divested from Lockheed Martin in November 2010 and is now an independent
company. Employees of The SI are maintaining their LMCO email addresses for a
short period of time while the company transitions its IT infrastructure.