[Help-gsl] Re: iteratively re-weighted least squares

From: Brian Hawkins
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: iteratively re-weighted least squares
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:44:10 -0800

Hi David,

I don't think there's anything wrong with the approach of re-computing the
weights.  The solver has no knowledge of the weights, only the functions you
provide.  Keep in mind that you should be supplying the residual function,
e.g.

r[i] = (y[i] - f(p, x[i])) * weight[i]

and similarly the rows of the Jacobian are scaled by the weights.  While I
think varying the weights between iterations is probably okay, you should
verify that they are well-behaved.  As a first cut, none are going to 0 or
inf relative to the other weights and/or machine precision.  I don't know to
what extent the GSL solvers are robust to poorly-scaled systems. Also if
your weights vary strongly between iterations, that would suggest you're
taking too-large a step or maybe the weight model is wrong.

The part of the GSL lmsder algorithm that is somewhat mysterious to me is
the "trust region" aspect.  In solvers I've written in the past, I
essentially hand-tuned the step size when necessary.  You might check to see
that you're taking reasonably sized steps (s->dx).  I don't know if there's
any interface for manual control of the step size (didn't see it in the
book).

Of course, try to make sure the parameters are observable in your data set.
 By that I mean you can see a pattern in the data that suggests you're
fitting an appropriate model.  I'm not sure offhand what your model or data
look like.  Maybe you're only testing with a subset of your data, and it's
not enough.

It's also possible that your model is just really tough to fit.  For
example, your performance could be very sensitive to the initial guess.
 What happens when you make your initial guess is very close to a known
solution (on known/simulated data)?

Hope that helps,
Brian

Message: 1