[Help-gsl] Re: Help-gsl Digest, Vol 81, Issue 3

From: Awhan Patnaik
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: Help-gsl Digest, Vol 81, Issue 3
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:45:46 +0530

>   1. IEEE environment variable under Windows (Chao Ding)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 00:13:39 -0400
> From: Chao Ding <address@hidden>
> Subject: [Help-gsl] IEEE environment variable under Windows
> To: address@hidden
>
> Hi there,
>
> I have two related questions here.
>
> I am using GSL in Visual C++ 2008 Express under Windows and receive
> underflow error handler message. From google, I think the right way to
> get rid of it is to set GSL_IEEE_MODE = "mask-underflow", am I right?
>
> Assume I am right about the way to get rid of the underflow message,
> the second problem is that, although I followed the instruction in
> Chapter 41 in the manual to set the IEEE environment variable
> GSL_IEEE_MODE, but I did not figure out the correct format. I guess it
> is a stupid format question but I do not know how. Here is my code:
> #include <gsl/gsl_ieee_utils.h>
>
> void main{
>   GSL_IEEE_MODE = "mask-underflow, double-precision, mask-denormalized";
>   gsl_ieee_env_setup();
> }

this is not how one sets up environmental variables. in windows xp
please try the following to set up the environment variable

0) right click on My Computer
1) select Properties > Advanced
2) towards the bottom on the dialog box u will see Environment Variables

there you can add the environment variable GSL_IEEE_MODE ...

the function gsl_ieee_env_setup () simply reads the variables that has
been set by you which in this case is GSL_IEEE_MODE.

now for some uncalled for advice ... my apologies to those who may be
offended by it.

consider code development on a GNU/Linux system specially if you are
in a university and depend on free software like GSL.