Re: [Help-gsl] Generalized eigenvalues complex float

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Generalized eigenvalues complex float
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:08:04 +0100

>>> I'm new to GSL and  I was wondering whether it's possible
>>> to  calculate  Generalized   Eigenvalues  for  a  complex
>>> _float_ matrix with GSL.

Sorry,  do you  mean complex  generalised hermitian-definite
eigensystems (which are in the  GSL), or the general case of
complex matrix (which, AFAICT, are not)?

>> No it is only done in double precision.
>
>Would you  guys look forward  to have an  implementation of
>this, or is  there any (numerical?) reason why  it does not
>exist?

I cannot speak  for GSL maintainers, but this  would be more
work  of  coding and  maintenance  for  a  feature which  is
already  available in  LAPACK[1] (if  I understand  what you
need).    Using    CLAPACK   imposes   problems   (row-major
vs. col-major  storage), but it offers a  lot of subroutines
ready now.

HTH

[1] <http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lug/node35.html>
--