[Help-gsl] connected component analysis with GSL?

From: Dan Lenski
Subject: [Help-gsl] connected component analysis with GSL?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:48:56 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I am trying to write a program to clean up small dust specks in scanned
TIFF images.  I wrote this first in Python/SciPy, but it's rather slow
unfortunately.

I was hoping to reimplement it using Libtiff and GSL, in C.  I was
wondering if GSL has any routines for connected component analysis.
E.g., given a matrix/array that looks like this:

A = [[ 0 1 1 0 1
       0 0 2 2 2
       1 1 1 1 0
       0 3 3 2 2 ]]

... I'd like generate a labeled structure that looks something like this:

labels = [[ 0 1 1 0 2
            0 0 3 3 3
            4 4 4 4 0
            0 5 5 6 6 ]]

... where each contiguous (4- or 8-way connected) region of non-zero has
been given its own label.

I googled around, but did not find much.  Does anyone know of some open-
source code to do this in GSL?  I suppose I could re-invent the wheel,
but would rather not if I can avoid it.

Thanks for any pointers!

Dan