Re: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?

From: Leo Razoumov
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 08:03:27 -0500

On 2010-02-05, Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:

> I find it an advantage to use the same names and different directories
>  rather than different names as it is easy to change the library at
>  runtime without modifying the executable via LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>  --
>  Brian Gough

I agree with Brian. I find it very useful to have the *same* lib-name
for different versions of the same library but place them in different
directories. Using a starter script like

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/blah_plah:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
exec $*

I can choose at _run_ time what version of library to use without any
need to recompile/relink my executable. I also maintain optimized and
debug versions of GSL in two different directories. It is faster and
easier to modify LD_LIBRARY_PATH than to meddle with Makefiles.

Just my two cents.
--Leo--