Re: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?

From: Leo Razoumov
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:30:42 -0500

On 2010-01-28, Brian Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> At Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:31:38 +0000,
>
> [..snip..]
> The situation is that GNU packages always compile with debugging (-g
>  -O2) by default, so it should not be necessary to make a separate
>  debugging version -- it's part of the GNU philosophy that anyone
>  should be able to examine any program on the system.  I've added a
>  note saying that to the INSTALL file.  Unfortunately many
>  distributions don't follow this approach.

This is a commendable philosophy which, unfortunately, does not work
in practice.
Due to optimizations, binary code compiled with "-g -O2" does not
follow the source code. Stepping through a program with a debugger
(gdb) is extremely painful. Some variables are optimized out, some
functions get inlined, instructions are not in sync with source code.

For debugging, I compile my code with "-g" or "-ggdb" and no any
optimization flags at all. This policy serves me well.

--Leo--