RE: [Help-gsl] Permissions for using GSL in my own software

From: Earl, Joseph
Subject: RE: [Help-gsl] Permissions for using GSL in my own software
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:45:14 +0000

I have a question on GSL GPL, in the FAQ it states:

1) Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my
site?

    Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the
program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide "equivalent
access" to download the source-therefore, the fee to download source may not be
greater than the fee to download the binary.

2) Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?

    Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part
of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is
no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required
written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

So the following should be allowed?

- Charge $X for an application binary and required written offer to provide the
source code for free
- and charge anything up to $X for the source code only (for people who do not
purchase the binary)

Regards,
Joseph Earl