[Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?

From: Peter Rockett
Subject: [Help-gsl] Renaming versions of the libraries?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:31:38 +0000

I am trying build a debug version of the library from source on Ubuntu
9.10.

I can generate a debug version by adding the CFLAGS='-g' option to
configure (which passes the -g flag to the compiler). That all works.
But I want to rename the libraries as something different from the
default - in other words, I want both release and debug versions to
co-exist but with unique names. I have tried the configure option of
--program-suffix=dbg (and --program-suffix='dbg') which I hoped would
rename the generated libraries libgsldbg.*, etc. but this appears not to
work. Have I misunderstood something here? Can anyone tell me how I
rename versions of the libraries?

BTW: Brian - It would be nice to have explicit instructions on how to
generate debug versions in the INSTALL file. In my experience most other
packages have a make option to do this; it took me some time to spot the
configure options.

Peter