Re: [Help-gsl] [A little OT] Algorithm for finding a root / solving an

From: kamaraju kusumanchi
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] [A little OT] Algorithm for finding a root / solving an equation
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 18:02:23 -0500

> Also, can you recommend some good (on-line or off-line) references about
> numerical algorithms in general to me?? Something like a good and up-to-date
> book or web site with "numerical recipes".

Couple of my favorite books are
1) Numerical Methods that Work by Forman S. Acton

http://www.amazon.com/Numerical-Methods-that-Work-Spectrum/dp/0883854503/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262792647&sr=8-1

very practical and easy to read. A bit old but gives a "feel" for
numerical methods.

2) Introduction to numerical analysis
 By Josef Stoer, Roland Bulirsch

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Numerical-Analysis-J-Stoer/dp/038795452X

Covers a wide range of topics, in depth analysis, a good reference.

hth
raju