[Help-gsl] Solving a First Order ODE system using GSL

From: Earl, Joseph
Subject: [Help-gsl] Solving a First Order ODE system using GSL
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:09:38 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to solve a first-order ODE of the form

x' = sqrt(1/3x - k + lx^2)

using the GSL C++ library, where k and l are constants for a particular
solution.

I have no problem at all using GSL to solve 2nd order (such as x'' = -x) and
higher ODEs, something is just confusing about the first order equations and
how to put them into the required form.
The Jacobian doesn't seem to make much sense with a 1st order ODE.

Also the current documentation is pretty poor - there is only one example of a
2nd order ODE which is repeated all over the net. So if anyone wants to add a
1st order example to the help docs I'm sure that would be of some use to others
(and me!) in the future.

Any help would be much appreciated (if you feel like writing out a full working
example that would be awesome).

Regards,
Joseph Earl
Imperial College London