Re: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?

From: Rohit Garg
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 19:56:45 +0530

I think using eigen over gsl (for linear algebra) is a no brainer.

a) gsl is dog slow compared to eigen (no vectorization whatsoever).
b) gsl has no float option
c) eigen offers both column major and row major storage
d) eigen *does* expression templates
e) eigen will happily map your data and perform operations on it.
f) eigen has way cooler (aka C++-ey) api over gsl/lapack
g) eigen is adding support for sparse matrices at a rapid pace.

For (nearly full, I think) lapack to C++ bindings, FLENS is a great
idea too. But I have never used flens.

http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I would recommend using eigen/FLENS over gsl anyday for linear algebra
purposes. BTW, it also does small vectors/matrices. :)

DISCLAIMER: I have contributed and continue to contribute to eigen.