Re: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?

From: Rhys Ulerich
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: gsl c++ wrapper ?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:55:41 -0500

>>> Designing a good C++ wrapper to any matrix
>>> library is difficult provided one tries to keep C++ semantics.

>> It may be easier, if you have a favorite C++ matrix/vector library, to
>>  design a GSL-wrapper for the matrix/vector library itself.

> Many good and tested libraries like LAPACK have come from Fortran and
> use column-major matrix storage incompatible with GSL. One cannot
> simply wrap them up in some sort of GSL objects that can be passed to
> GSL functions.

Quite true.  Underlying my statement was that your favorite C++
matrix/vector library can store data in a raw row-major format
compatible with GSL methods. Either ublas or eigen2 is capable of
row-major storage.

If you're after LAPACK, either ublas or eigen2 is capable of
column-major storage as well and probably could interop with LAPACK.

Hell, you might even use a mixture of storage types and get some
actual work done.

- Rhys