Re: [Help-gsl] comparison to numeric calculation software application

From: Inigo Aldazabal Mensa
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] comparison to numeric calculation software application
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:23:50 +0200

El Viernes, 14 de Agosto de 2009 02:13, Jason Lillywhite escribió:
> After reading a little about gsl and trying bindings in Scheme and
> Ruby, I have come to feel that GSL is comparable to matlab, scilab, or
> mathimatica. But since then, have been told by some that I might be
> off a little. How much are we missing out on by using GSL instead of
> say, Matlab when it comes to numerical methods. BTW - I am a beginner
> in MatLab, GSL, and numerical methods.
>
> Thank you.

I did completely replace some years ago Matlab et al for interactive
numeric manipulation and rapid prototyping with Python+IPython
terminal+NumPy/SciPy  and been really happy since :-). You can find an
interesting post about it here[1], and although it makes reference to Sage
(more a Mathematica like environment), it applies to SciPy et al too.

You can get it all installed in windows through Python(x,y)[2], Enthough
Python Distribution[3] or in linux precompiled through repositories for
most of the distributions. Take a look at those projects websites to find