[Help-gsl] Approximate Comparison of Floating Point Numbers

From: Awhan Patnaik
Subject: [Help-gsl] Approximate Comparison of Floating Point Numbers
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:34:39 +0530

With reference to int *gsl_fcmp* (double x, double y, double epsilon)
is there a default choice of epsilon that will work for ``almost" all
situations ? I was using the      fabs(x-y) < 1e-6 method before I
discovered this. Currently I am using DBL_EPSILON defined in cfloat i.e. my
gsl_fcmp function looks like.

gsl_fcmp(x, y, DBL_EPSILON)

Are there any dangers associated with this practice ?

Now some other questions.

Is there an IRC channel where GSL geeks hang out ?

thanks and regards
awhan