Re: [Help-gsl] Re: Random number generation

From: Carl Boettiger
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: Random number generation
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 17:43:17 -0700

The number shouldn't be close to zero.  Divide by 600 and you'll have
the mean, which will be close to zero.  Just sum a bunch of gaussian
random numbers of standard deviation sigma and you expect a
displacement of sqrt(2 sigma T), i.e. sqrt(1200) approx 34 -- you're
simulating Brownian motion.

-Carl