Re: [Help-gsl] Re: Random number generator: compiling issue on a Mac (10

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: Random number generator: compiling issue on a Mac (10.4.11)
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:20:26 +0200

Marco Tului wrote:
> By the way, if I write instead by terminal simply "g++ -c
> random_generator.cpp" I don't receive errors: it seems to be fine. How's
> possible?

The point is that if you use g++ -c then you are compiling the code to
object form -- not linking it together to form an executable.  The -l...
commands tell the compiler what libraries your program needs to link to
-- and hence if you are using the -c option they are superfluous.  So,
the compiler, being nice and helpful, tells you that.

You only need to use -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm when you are calling g++ to
link together your object files into an executable.