Re: [Help-gsl] Need help specifying build/host/target to configure

From: Michael G Soyka
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Need help specifying build/host/target to configure
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:09:20 -0400

Brian Gough wrote:
At Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:30:29 -0400,
Michael G Soyka wrote:
Question 1.
The configure script takes 3 arguments that appear to be relevant: "--build", "--host", and "--target". Although the GNU Standards file talks about them, I'm still unclear as to which ones I should use. Could someone please explain the differences between them. I have tried:

    --build=sparc-sun-solaris2.7
    --host=sparc-sun-solaris2.7
    --target=ppc-ibm-mcos

To cross compile use --host=ppc-ibm-mcos (the type of system on which
the package runs).
Question 2.
What are these .lo and .la files created by the Makefiles?

These are libtool files.  The actual .a files can be found in the .libs
subdirectories.

Question 3.
What does "libtool" do?

It is a wrapper around the compiler to compile static and dynamically
linked versions of a library at the same time.

Brian,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. In the interim between my message and your reply, I found out that libtool and autoconf are Gnu products, found the docs, and came up with the same answers. However, I still have not been able to get configure to work as designed; here's what's happened.

1. I defined environment variables CC, CFLAGS, AR, LD, etc for the cross development compiler and utilities and then invoked configure with --build, --host and --disable-shared. 2. configure knows nothing of my OS choice "mcos" for host. 3. I then specified ac_cv_host=ppc-ibm-mcos and configure said "If you meant to cross compile, use --host". 4. I added "cross_compile=yes" to configure's command line and it ran to completion, hoo-hah! 5. trying to build, I got a "don't know how to build strdup.oppc.oppc" error (rather similar to my original Question 2 issue). By the way, my original post applied to version 1.8 but I've since upgraded to 1.11 with the same results. Not having the time, experience or desire to dig further, I wrote a shell script to create the Makefiles and customized the config.h file by hand. Now I have the library running on the target board. Nonetheless, I'd still like to do this right way, as God and Gnu intended. I also will need to do this for a vxWorks system and so any suggestions or insights anyone may have will be welcomed.

Mike