[Help-gsl] RNG and parallel MC simulations

From: Torquil Macdonald Sørensen
Subject: [Help-gsl] RNG and parallel MC simulations
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 23:22:08 +0200

Hi everyone,

I have a parallel (OpenMP) Monte Carlo simulation program that uses independent streams of random numbers (using GSL) on each processor. The parallelization of the program is trivial, there is no communication between the threads.

Up to now I have simply declared the RNGs within each thread and seeded them with the thread-number. It works fine, and I have tried ranlxs2, taus2 and mt19937, using seed = threadnumber+1. The +1 is to avoid seed=0 which would give the default seed in GSL in thread 0.

Is it problematic to do this, wrt. the quality of the "independent" streams? Should I go through the trouble of changing to SPRNG? Does the GSL development team have any special recomendations for choice of RNG and/or seeds in the case of parallel streams?

Since I have no interaction between the threads, all I require is that the streams I use are as independent as possible, so that would be accomplished by not choosing an unfortunate set of seed values?

According to the SPRNG web page, they offer the following algorithms:
(i) Linear Congruential with Prime Addend
(ii) modified Additive Lagged Fibonacci
(iii) Multiplicative Lagged Fibonacci
(iv) Combined Multiple Recursive Generator
(v) Prime Modulus Linear Congruential Generator.

I'm not sure why these should be better suited than a good RNG in GSL. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Ref: http://sprng.cs.fsu.edu/Version4.0/generators.html

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen