[Help-gsl] One or Multidimensional Root Finding?

From: Olumide
Subject: [Help-gsl] One or Multidimensional Root Finding?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:36:02 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to find the point p(x,y,z) on an (nonlinear) implicit surface F(x,y,z) = 0 closest that is nearest to a given initial point q(x,y,z), the problem is that my reading of the docs makes the choice the class of root finding algorithm a bit difficult. According to the manual, multidimensional root-finding algorithms are for "solving nonlinear systems with n equations in n unknowns", while one dimensional Root-Finding algorithms are for "finding roots of arbitrary one-dimensional functions". The problem is that I have one equation F(x,y,z) = 0, with whose solution is a tuple or vector or group of 3 numbers p(x,y,z). Which algorithm should I use to solve such a problem? A one dimensional or a multi-dimensional root solver?

Thanks,

- Olumide