[Help-gsl] Multidimensional root solver

From: Himanshu Chandola
Subject: [Help-gsl] Multidimensional root solver
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:42:27 -0400

Hello everyone,

I've been using gsl to solve a set of polynomial equations which are non linear. There are n equations and n variables. And from the final solution i've to pick one which satisfies certain constraints. The multidimensional solver that i use is : gsl_multiroot_fsolver.

Now, the thing with multidimensional solver is that I can't give it search bounds unlike the one dimensional solver. Besides this, since the multidimensional solver only returns me one root that it finds (the one that it would find first), there is no way of searching the other roots which would satisfy the constraints.

So, I was thinking whether someone has encountered similar problem before and figured solving a set of simultaneous nonlinear equations (polynomials for that matter) when you would want to get all of the solutions. Or at least the solution satisfying certain constraints (which perhaps might be achieved by giving search bounds to the solver, but isn't available in the multidimensional solver).

thanks in advance

Himanshu