Re: [Help-gsl] Re: (A newbie asks) How to program multidimensional root

From: Olumide
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Re: (A newbie asks) How to program multidimensional root solver?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:46:44 +0100

I realise that this is rather off-topic for GSL but perhaps it will be
of interest in any case.
I'm sure it will. You never know when the next newbie will come along asking trivial questions :) .

I have attached a model that will maybe get you started.

You asked about fsolve in Scilab. ASCEND has a lot of stuff to make
building up of large models much easier than it is with tools like
fsolve: stuff to do with the easier of stating the model in a concise
way, object-oriented mathematical models, dealing with units of
measurement, playing around with which variables you want to solve for,
etc. In terms of pure numerics, fsolve is fine, just as GSL is fine. I
should mention that I'm involved with the ASCEND project, so I'm a bit
biased :-)

Aha! No wonder you were able to knock up a script so quickly :-) . Unfortunately, I may have settled on Octave (scilab was too finicky). ACSEND looks like a great program, and boy did it require the kitchen sink to be installed! :-) . Documentation appears exhaustive, but it doesn't really tell the user from the get go what sort of problems it solves, and the syntax is a bit far out -- but that can't be helped. I just willing to read the who thing just only to discover its not right for me.

Anyway, I will keep the script. You never know ;-) . Thanks.