Re: [Help-gsl] [OT] double vs long double

From: David Schaich
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] [OT] double vs long double
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 16:31:31 -0400

Processor speed is one issue, memory access is another. If moving from double to long double could make the difference between leaving certain things in cache vs. having to fetch them from the disk, you could see a significant performance hit.

If you don't have any pressing need to use long double as opposed to double, I would encourage keeping things simple and making the most efficient use of available resources.

Cheers,
David Schaich
physics.bu.edu/~schaich

Marco Maggi wrote:
Ciao,

I am reorganising my code that uses GSL vectors and matrices;
I have to choose a scalar number type and I am wondering if,
given modern processors speed, it makes sense to just use "long
double" rather than "double" (when available).  I have no
special
needs, my code is to be used in general purpose matrix
computations.

I know that many GSL algorithms, like ODE, are implemented only
for "double", but when moving values in/out of matrices from/to
algorithms a conversion can take place.

We do not use 16 bits "int" anymore, so are we not there yet
for "long double"?