Re: [Help-gsl] GSL and C99 standard

From: Hongzheng Wang
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GSL and C99 standard
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:11:56 +0800

>  The benefit of C99 is common conventions that are portable between
>  projects. The new floating point stuff is probably useful for GSL, but I
>  see C99 being much more than that. It makes general coding easier.

Agree.

Basically, I think the problem is not just what benefits we could get
when utilizing the new features of C99.  More important thing, in my
opinion, is that GSL must be ready for these welcome elements
introduced by the new standard.  Let's still take complex number
support as an example.  When full C99 support is ready and gets
certain applications in the future (some people even argue if this
will be true, but I believe it), a user new to GSL may have already a
plenty of codes built on the standard complex type support and would
feel confused if GSL still uses current non-standard complex number
mechanism.  Such incompatiblities between GSL and standard would harm
the development of GSL and even cause divergence among potential
users.

--
HZ