RE: [Help-gsl] eigenvectors of non symmetric matrix?

From: Warren Weckesser
Subject: RE: [Help-gsl] eigenvectors of non symmetric matrix?
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:00:18 -0500

Don't use a gsl_eigen_* function to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

The matrix a*b^T has rank 1.  The only nonzero eigenvalue is b^T*a (i.e. the
dot product of b and a), and the corresponding eigenvector is a.

The eigenspace of the zero eigenvalue is the set of all vectors normal to b,
i.e. x such that b^T*x = 0, so just find a basis for this space to get the
eigenvectors of the zero eigenvalue.

--Warren