[Help-gsl] Missing functions for complex vectors

From: Federico Zenith
Subject: [Help-gsl] Missing functions for complex vectors
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:50:43 +0100

Hi,
I am working on a C++ GSL wrapper (yes, there are not enough of them
already around :-), and I have been working on vectors last week; while
writing the wrapper, I noticed a couple of oddities I'd like to point
out before reporting them as a bug (I am using the GSL version 1.10):

1) complex vectors have defined all properties mentioned on this page:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Vector-properties.html
except isnonneg(). I am not sure what's the meaning of ispos() or
isneg() for a vector of complex numbers, I suppose it means "both real
AND imaginary part are positive", but this should be documented;
furthermore, I do not understand why, if ispos() and isneg() could be
defined, why could not isnonneg() be as well.

2) Vector operations, defined on this page:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Vector-operations.html
are not defined for complex types. As far as I can guess, all these
operations would still make sense for complex numbers. What is really
odd is, the same operations are defined for complex matrices.

Did I miss something?

Cheers,
-Federico