[Help-gsl] Compiling GSL via components, missing libgsl.a

From: bs5ea
Subject: [Help-gsl] Compiling GSL via components, missing libgsl.a
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:13:40 -0500

Hi, I'm trying to use the GSL minimization algorithms for an open-source
microscopy research program.  I'm actually compiling in Visual Studio 2008,
and I know the gsl isn't made to do that, but I've tweaked the configure
file and I think I've got everything set up.  It compiles the minimization
algorithms and all their includes, and I've linked in the libraries that
came with the gsl download, but it then tells me that I'm missing a bunch of
constants like:

_gsl_vector_free

_gsl_vector_memcpy

And a few others.  I've done some research, and I've found a few people
mention to "check and make sure libgsl.a" is included properly.  That file
isn't in the distribution, and I haven't found a place to download it.  I
found a few places where people have asked where they can download it, but
all responses have been "don't download it separately."  Where does it come
from?  And will it work properly if I'm JUST using the minimization routines
(and so the associated gsl_vector, etc) when not compiled on Unix using gcc?

Thanks,

~Brian