Re: [Help-gsl] GNU build configure.ac script

From: Rutger van Haasteren
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GNU build configure.ac script
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:50:38 +0200

> For the former I get,
>
>   checking for main in -lm... yes
>   checking for library containing main... none required
>
> which would be the expected behavior -- AC_SEARCH_LIBS will always
> succeed linking to main, without any library.

Seems plausible indeed, but this is not always the case. Why then would the
latter case work? I use this method to successfully link to several
libraries. But I do accept that for compatibility I should not search for
main... thanks.

However, if I replace the 'main' above for something else, e.g. 'gsl_atanh',
it still fails:

AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gsl_atanh, gsl, [], [], -lgslcblas)
Gives:
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for gsl_atanh in -lgsl... no

But
AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)
AC_CHECK_LIB([gslcblas], [cblas_dgemm])
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gsl_atanh, gsl)
Gives:
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for cblas_dgemm in -lgslcblas... yes
checking for gsl_atanh in -lgsl... yes

I Hope I have been specific enough... Cheers,

Rutger