[Help-gsl] GNU build configure.ac script

From: Rutger van Haasteren
Subject: [Help-gsl] GNU build configure.ac script
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:52:38 +0200

Hello list,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I'm a fairly new user of the GSL
library and it suits most of my needs (I'm writing a data analysis package
for astronomers). I use the GNU build system to check for the necessary
libraries, basically:

Ex1:

1: AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)
2: AC_CHECK_LIB(gslcblas,main) --- Or: AC_CHECK_LIB(cblas,main)
3: AC_CHECK_LIB(gsl,main)

Now, I can also use the ATLAS version of CBLAS in step 2. But I fail to be
able to do this for the intel MKL library. What are all the requirements
that must be met for AC_CHECK_LIB(gsl,main) to succeed? For instance, this
also fails:

Ex2:

1: AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)
2: AC_DEFINE([HAVE_LIBCBLAS], 1, [Define to 1 if you have the libcblas
library.])
3: AC_SUBST(HAVE_LIBCBLAS)
4: AC_SEARCH_LIBS(main, gsl, [], [], -lcblas)

However, if I replace 2 & 3 in the second example for the relevant AC_CHECK
command it /does/ work. In the end I will want to link to the intel MKL
library, but I only get to do this by not checking and updating the
$DEPS_LIBS variable manually. Anyone any ideas? Thanks,

Rutger