Re: [Help-gsl] Does my thesis have to be GPLed?

From: Patrick Alken
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Does my thesis have to be GPLed?
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 19:47:04 -0600

> Er, by "thesis" I meant "code", not the actual document. Dynamically
> linking to the GSL, does that mean that my code is a derived work from
> the GSL or not?

Yes since GSL is under the GPL not the LGPL you would have to GPL
your code. But I think it only matters if you intend to release
your program to the public in some form. If you only intend
to use the program's results in your thesis, you are not actually
required to publically distribute your program. If you decide
you want to sell/distribute the program you'd have to GPL it.