Re: [Help-gsl] Java GNU Scientific Library first release

From: Simpson, Kenneth
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Java GNU Scientific Library first release
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:16:56 -0700

>There is no Java source code per se, because I didn't write
>any (except the initializer Jgsl.java).

I broke down and install swig and hacked the paths
for my GSL installation in Makefile and the Python script.

I need the Java source for my IDE.

>I have noticed, for instance, that Java's built-in Log function---which I
>understand is based on netlib---performs about 10% worse than GSL's log
>function when called through JGSL.

I just ran TestLog.java and here's the output

     JGSL Log computed 2000000 logarithms in 626 ms.
     Built-in Log computed 2000000 logarithms in 318 ms.

Java's built in log function appears to be twice as fast as GSL's log
function (on a dual core laptop using Java 6 under Linux.)

-- Ken