Re: [Help-gsl] Java GNU Scientific Library first release

From: David Lindelof
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Java GNU Scientific Library first release
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:11:54 +0200

Dear Ken,

> >I have done some preliminary tests whose results are encouraging. The
> >first public release, 0.1.0, features only the Special Functions
> (log,
> >exp, airy, bessel, etc). This is a *very* preliminary
> release---consider
> >it as a very rough first draft. You can download it, its source and
> its
> >javadoc from here:
> >
> >http://sourceforge.net/projects/jgsl/
>
> Fantastic!
>
> Except there is no source code (except for Jgsl.java.)
>
> Do you plan on releasing the source Java code for the
> wrappers and the C code the shared library?

There is no Java source code per se, because I didn't write any (except
the initializer Jgsl.java). All the JNI wrapper classes are
machine-generated with SWIG (www.swig.org). The "heart" of jgsl is a
Python script that parses GSL's header files and generates appropriate
input files to SWIG.

But I suppose I could include the machine-generated JNI files in the
next release, with the understanding that these source files are the
first thing to be deleted when running `make clean'. I'll try to have
the next release in a couple of weeks, and to have this release include
the Linear Algebra (gsl_linalg.h) stuff.

Kind regards,
David Lindelöf
Visnet
Chemin de l'Ancienne-Ecole 37
1288 Genève
tel +41-79-415.6641
fax +41-22-757.7250
e-mail address@hidden
weblog http://www.visnet.ch/smartbuildings/

"I once witnessed a long-winded, month-long flamewar over the use of
mice vs. trackballs...It was very silly."
(By Matt Welsh)