[Help-gsl] Re: Looking for good codes for 2D numerical integrals...

From: Michael
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: Looking for good codes for 2D numerical integrals...
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:44:52 -0700

Hi Tommy,

Here is my 2D integral. As you can see, only one (the inner integral)
is a Fourier type. Can I still use your change-of-coordinate trick?
Also I have to consider the efficiency...

Thanks!

My 2D integration is:

Integrate( F(v) * FourierTransform[g(t)] (v), v from -infinity to
+infinity ).

------------

g(t)'s evaluation is costly. So I plan to fix the parameter for g(t), and
compute the Fourier Transform of g(t) only once, and store in memroy. And
then in calibration loop, I only vary the parameters for F(v). And each time
for each different set of parameters of F(v), I compute the dot-product of
F(v) sample points and the FT[g(t)] sample points to obtain approximation to
the integral.

My question is: how to improve the accuracy of FFT-based integration? I know
it's inefficient, but is there any remedy at least?

Moreover, is there a better adaptive quadature based "smart" integration
method that can help me deal with the above situation efficiently? I am
thinking of doing a cache for the Fourier Transform of g(t), which is
FT[g(t)](v), since adaptive quadature based integration may sample different
point of FT[g(t)](v) each time... but perhaps the overhead introduced in the
cache may outweigh the smart adaptive integration itself...

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!