Re: [Help-gsl] looking for gsl_integration_long_double

From: Tobias Munk
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] looking for gsl_integration_long_double
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:42:08 +0200 (CEST)

The problem I have to solve is a summation of integrals of Mathieu function
(some special
periodic functions, in gsl since v 1.9). The integral solver for oscillatory
functions
does not work in this case, since the integrand is known only numerically, thus
one
cannot factor out a trigonometric term. In any case, a long double integration
alone
would not be sufficient to increase accuracy for this problem, since the Mathieu
functions must be available at the same precision. Currently, they are only
present as
double, too.

Mathematica is able to approximate the series much better than the code I wrote
using
gsl, presumably since Mathematica uses arbitrary precision arithmetics. I am
not sure
which approach is more promising, implementing everything in long double, or
using
arbitrary precision arithmetics, like gmp (http://gmplib.org).

Tobias

      __________________________________  Yahoo! Clever: Sie haben Fragen?