Re: [Help-gsl] Complex eigenvalues

From: Hannes Basler
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Complex eigenvalues
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:41:07 +0200

Hi,
all eigenvalues of a Hermitian Matrix are real, so there is no need for complex eigenvalues if you use gsl_eigen_herm(). A symmetric matrix is a special case of a hermitian matrix and has also only real eigenvalues. If you have a nonsymmetric real matrix you can use gsl_eigen_nonsymm (), this function gives the eigenvalues in a gsl_vector_complex*. At the moment there is no function to compute the eigenvalues of a nonhermitian complex matrix in GSL.

Cheers,
Hannes