Re: [Help-gsl] Linking problems with gsl

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Linking problems with gsl
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:20:30 -0500

On 23/04/07, Joseph Wakeling <address@hidden> wrote:
Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
> I don't understand one thing. Why are you compiling, instead of using
> apt-get?

The Ubuntu apt repositories only contain 1.8, I wanted to use 1.9.  I'm
not aware of other repositories for GSL ... ?

If the Ubuntu repositories in which the GSL is are Universe, it's
highly likely that you can substitute them from Debian repositories,
since the Universe packages in Ubuntu are relatively left intact by
the Ubuntu packagers. The Debian package is currently at version 1.9.

But then again, mixing packages from different distributions generally
is not recommended. Perhaps building from source was your best option
after all. I generally judge myself on how many dependencies a package
pulls in; the libgsl0-dev package only depends on the libc6 package
that every other package in your system already depends on anyways.

Anyways, glad to hear you sorted your problems anyways.
- Jordi G. H.