Re: [Help-gsl] gsl on GNU/Linux, x86_64

From: Martin Jansche
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] gsl on GNU/Linux, x86_64
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:11:46 -0400

On 6/16/06, Michael Zuker <address@hidden> wrote:
I also wonder why my system was setup with useless libraries.

That's a common issue.  Those libraries are still useful if you have
applications that run in ia32 emulation mode.  Many Unices went
through similar problems when transitioning to 64bit systems -- at one
point it was possible to have 4 different versions of the same library
in Irix.  Most GNU/Linux distributions are experiencing the same thing
now as people are switching to amd64.  RedHat and SuSE went the
lib32/lib64 route.  Debian went "pure64" at some point, but now it
doesn't have good 32bit emulation support, because the whole packaging
system assumes that you only want to install packages for a single
architecture on your system.  I don't know of any Linux distribution
that handles this situation properly.

-- mj