[Help-gsl] Gaussian Ziggurat changes

From: Richard Gould
Subject: [Help-gsl] Gaussian Ziggurat changes
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:29:36 +0800

Hi

I'm using GSL for an application where it's fairly important to be able to
produce consistent sets of random numbers on subsequent runs. I've been using
Jochen Voss's add-on to generate gaussian distributed numbers with the Ziggurat
algorithm. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to gsl-1.8, in which I'm
happy to see the Ziggurat routine has now been incorporated. However I notice
that the included version has been altered slightly so that it produces a
different stream of numbers from the add-in version when run with the same RNG
algorithm and the same starting seed.

Furthermore, it seems to me that the version in gsl-1.8 will be slower than the
add-in version for RNG algorithms that can return a max value of 2^32-1, like
the mt19937 algorithm which I'm using, since it will make two calls to the RNG
rather than a single call in the add-in.

If possible I'd like to get an explanation for these changes since unless
they're fixing an error in the original implementation I'd rather not introduce
changes into my application.

Kind regards
Richard Gould

NOTICE
The information contained in this email is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email
in any way. If you received it in error, please tell us immediately by return
email and delete the document.  We do not guarantee the integrity of any
e-mails or attached files and are not responsible for any changes made to them
by any other person.