[Help-gsl] Reading vectors and matrices from text files

From: Ivan Adzhubey
Subject: [Help-gsl] Reading vectors and matrices from text files
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 01:11:30 -0500

Hi,

What is the best way to read vector/matrix data from a file? The
gsl_*_fscanf() family og functions surprisingly lack the format specification
parameter and nothing in the documentation hints on how they really work. I
have pre-generated sets of vectors stored in text files in the following
simple format:

1,2,3,4,5,10
2,2,4,5,6,20

i.e., one vector per line, comma-separated vector elements. The idea is to
read the whole block of data in and then loop over it (creating vector
views?) doing calculations.

Next step would be to replace text files as an input source with the database,
Postgresql in my case, since I need to process very large data sets, e.g.
ranging from 100,000 to 100,000,000 of sample vectors. I appreciate if anyone
with the similar experience would share it.

TIA,
Ivan