Re: [Help-gsl] GSL and FFTW

From: James Bergstra
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] GSL and FFTW
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:26:52 -0500

For real-valued inputs or outputs, the gsl_matrix type works.

GSL, C99 and FFTW all store complex double values as two adjacent doubles: the
first is the real, the second is the imaginary.

For double complex i/o, the gsl_matrix_complex_double data type might not be
compatible
according to gcc, but the type is compatible.  Therefore a static cast of the
data-pointer is safe.  In any case, you should be able to consult the various
header files and figure it out.

For the same reason, you can cast a gsl_matrix as a complex one if it has the
appropriate size.  You need twice as many columns to store all the imaginary
parts, but it's all just memory :)

James

Caveat: I only used FFTW for 1D-FFT, but I ran into similar troubles.