Re: [Help-gsl] least-squares fitting or minimization with constrained pa

From: g1ul10
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] least-squares fitting or minimization with constrained parameters
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 16:37:18 +0100

Hi Frank,
let me try to give you a general answer which has nothing to do with GSL
library. The better, safest and probably faster way of introducing the
kind of constraints you mention is through a re-parameterization of the
problem. For instance, if you want to fit the sum of two exponentials

a_1*exp{-b_1 t} + a_2 * exp{-b_2 t}

with b_2>b_1>0 and a_1,a_2>0 rewrite the function as

exp(-d_1^2 t+c_1) *(1.+exp(-d_2^2 t +c_2))

and fit c_1,c_2,d_1,d_2. When you have the fit, compute the old
variables as

a_1=exp(c_1)
a_2=a_1+exp(c_2)
b_1=d_1^2
b_2=d_1^2+d_2^2

and use the rules of propagation of errors to find the new error
bands.

Said that, some time ago I wrote a "wrapper" function around GSL
minimization functions which implements BOUNDARIES constraints through
change of variable approach. I use it for max-likelihood fitting and
it seems to work. If you still need it, just ask.

Hope this could help,
        G.