[Help-gsl] Problems with #include options in GSL

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: [Help-gsl] Problems with #include options in GSL
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:28:24 +0100

Hello all,

I recently downloaded the GSL but have been having trouble with the #include options in these files.

Header include commands for GSL invariably take the form of, say,

#include <gsl/gsl_rng.h>

but the header file concerned is usually not actually located in the gsl/ directory, so the compiler fails to find it. (Note that I *am* using the -I compiler option to tell it where the gsl/ directory is.) The result is that even the simple example program given in the GSL manual, which makes use of the gsl_sf_bessel.h header, won't compile!

The error message produced in that case is: gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h: No such file or directory. I get a similar message when, e.g., I try to compile the ran1.c random number generator, although this also fails to find the config.h header.

Note that I deliberately *don't* want to just compile to object form the whole GSL. Rather, I'd like to be able to compile individual modules as-and-when necessary for different projects. I'd also like a solution that is independent of the compiler used---gcc is great, but sometimes other compilers can produce faster number-crunching and that's often important to me.

... So, how do I solve this "include" problem without rewriting the GSL code? :-)

Many thanks & best wishes,

        -- Joe