Re: [Help-gsl] some basic question about compiling and linking

From: Joakim Hove
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] some basic question about compiling and linking
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:51:06 +0200

"W. Xu" <address@hidden> writes:

>    When I read gsl-ref file I was confused by some terminologies, such
> as "shared library"

Libraries can either be shared, or static. In the case of shared
librarie the (library) code is invoked at runtime, whereas when
linking statically the library code is included in the executable at
link time. Aspects regarding shared/static libraries are
generic, and are *not* related to gsl in particular.

> and "blas library"?

A blas library implements a  Basic Linear Algebra System, there
exists specially hardware optimized such libraries for various
platforms, but if you don't have (or need) and optimized library for
your particular platform you can use the incldued gsl blas library.

> Why we should use the options as "-lgsl" and "-lgslcblas"?

Well, those are not 'options', but they tell the compiler (linker
precisely) to look for functions in the libraries libgsl and
libgslcblas. This is again standard unix - compiling, nothing special
for gsl.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / address@hidden  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /