[Help-gsl] memory allocation problem

From: Theodore Kypraios
Subject: [Help-gsl] memory allocation problem
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:58:02 -0000

Dear All,

I have written a function for an MCMC algorithm.

I mainly use: --gsl_vector_alloc-- and --gsl_matrix_alloc-- and I have
quite a few, such allocations within a "for" loop. At the end of each
iteration I use --gsl_vector_free-- and --gsl_matrix_free--. (number of
iterations = 10.000 at least)

The program runs for small sizes (50x5, for instance) of these matrices
but when these sizes are slightly increased (70x5, for instance) I get
the following message:

gsl: init_source.c:46: ERROR: failed to allocate space for block data
Segmentation fault.

I am running the program in Unix, and in my account I have quota (1 GB).
I noticed that a (large=600MB) "core.xxx" file is then created and my
quota is exceeded. Is there any relation?

How could I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
THeodore

Theodore Kypraios, PhD Student
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Lancaster University
Web:  http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~kypraios
email: address@hidden

Fylde College
Lancaster University